Montezuma Costa Rica: Fantastically Funky!
Near the tip of the Nicoya Peninsula, Montezuma Costa Rica is a fun, funky, and charming beach town with a unique atmosphere.
Popular for its beautiful surroundings, cheap hotels and eateries, this lovely village is super laid back. As a result of these qualities, Montezuma Costa Rica has charmed more than a few foreigners into long-term stays.
This has made for a vibrant, bohemian and backpacker culture with numerous young backpackers and travelers from around the world. The main square is a great place to watch the groovy and eccentric crowd attracted to Montezuma. Hippies, alt types, Rastafarians, artists, and everyday tourists mix with locals to create a fun and communal vibe.
The international ambiance has also led to a general acceptance of topless sunbathing on the beach, though this is somewhat against the more conservative Tico cultural norms and frowned upon by some of the locals.
The variety of the residents has also created an interesting and delightful selection of restaurants and cafes featuring numerous cuisine styles.
As mentioned, the setting is romantically tropical, right on the ocean and surrounded by forests filled with monkeys. There are tall cliffs surrounding the town and the beaches east of Montezuma Costa Rica are idyllic.
Nature lovers will enjoy the waterfall and swimming hole that is just 2km southwest of town. The trail towards the falls heads upstream from the Restaurante La Cascada. Montezuma is also within striking distance of the Cabo Blanco Absolute Wildlife Reserve, which is just 10km away.
The town offers numerous other activities for the adventurous…
Montezuma Costa Rica Activities:
- Canopy tours – Fly through the treetops on zip lines. There are two local sites offering this, one in Montezuma and the other in Malpais. The latter is higher and longer, but the Montezuma tour stops by the local waterfall and swimming hole.
- Surfing – There are rental shops in town and the best place to surf nearby is Playa Grande, a 30min walk north of Monthezuma. Los Cedros and Rio Lajas are two other lesss reliable breaks. La Escuela del Sol Surf School offers lessons – in surfing and yoga!
- Kayaking – Sea kayaks are available to rent and make for a great day activity. It’s popular to head out to Cabuya Island and go snorkeling on the fan reef there.
- Montezuma Falls – Just a short 2km hike outside of town these falls make for a great photo op and refreshing dip. There’s also a rope swing and cliff jumping opportunities. WARNING: Jump only from the rocks around the second pool – every year people die trying to jump from the main falls, usually slipping on their ascent up the slippery rock face.
- Scuba diving – Great Pacific scuba diving can be found off the coast of Montezuma Costa Rica.
- ATV Rentals – An adrenaline filled way of seeing the surrounding areas, at about $60/day.
- Yoga – Montezuma Yoga will happily bend you into a relaxed pretzel for $12 at the Hotel Los Mangos. Classes start at 9:30am and run from Sunday to Friday.
- Ultralight flights – Teeny, tiny ultralight aircraft are an unforgettable way to see the coastline. A man named Uli will take you on a flight and he can be reached at 2683-0480.
- Tortuga Island – A highly recommended day trip, Isla Tortuga makes for an idyllic daytrip from Montezuma, lying just offshore from the Curú Wildlife Reserve. Sometimes crowded with tour companies, the white sands and ample swimming, snorkeling and water sports opportunities make up for the excess people. Also, you can hike through the interior or take an island canopy tour.
Getting to Montezuma Costa RicaBy boat…
A regular departure leaves from Jacó between 8am and 9:30am, however this is weather and tide dependent. Reservations can be made at any tourist agency.By bus…
Buses depart from Ave 3, Calles 16/18 in San José at 7:30am and 3:30pm daily. In Cóbano minibuses connect with the bus. Return buses headed for San José leave Montezuma at 4:30am and 2:30pm Mon-Sat, 8:30am and 2:30pm Sun.By shuttle…
Interbus has shuttles to and from San José for $39.By flight…
The closest airport is in Tambor, check with Sansa or Nature Air for flights.Back to Costa Rica Travel Guide from Montezuma Costa Rica